Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Chanced upon this blog "http://everydayitalian.blogspot.com/ " What an encouragement....


The Discipline of Spiritual Perseverance
Be still, and know that I am God . . . Psalm 46:10
February 22, 2007

This verse takes me to a new place. When life gets crazy and somehow we begin to think we are the center of the universe, this Psalmist puts it into perspective. I am not the center of the universe merely a participant in creation. Chill out, relax, refocus and stop doing, and immediately. For the One whom is above all is in control. In total control. I can continue in my physical efforts or I can choose to align my mind with The Presence so that my actions begin to be natural and flow in the direction He is leading. Before all action, I am learning to be still.

Life is not meant be a struggle. We were created to live life and live it abundantly. When life becomes too "hard" one must evaluate if a change in direction is necessary. Have you ever felt like you were riding a stationary bike? You were working so hard and getting now where? Or perhaps you have viewed life through negative or hopeless lenses. Maybe you are tict off all of the time or maybe depressed. My siblings and my husband like to tease me about a familiar reaction of mine. They call it my default setting. According to those sources, my immediate not necessarily long term response to surprise, to fear, to shock, and to embarrassment is often...shall I say it?... anger. I think it is hilarious that they say that, but it is rather true. Angie's default setting: anger. The "unknown" can cause me to react that way. Isn't the root of anger, fear? My students have recognized my choleric tendencies and define those tendencies as characteristics of personality. Yes, however, what we consider is that personality is not an excuse for disobedience or flawed character. I enjoy knowing, acting and having control of my life so when I'm not feelin it, default: anger. That default setting is a weakness. It is contrary to the life that God has for people. However, the good news is, I am changing! Seriously. What a beautiful year it has been.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, embraced and productive. My dreams can be realized and perseverance to get there is attainable. I can be assured, completely and totally assured that as long as I remain focused mentally and emotionally, God will lead me easily, without a struggle. Creativity emerges. Fear and disappointment cannot exist in that current. I cannot afford to let anything distract me from my goal. You cannot either. There is not a day that goes by that this phrase is not in my consciousness. As a result disappointment, contrary mentalities, opposing teaching, draining relationships, conflicting images , negative thoughts and fear of any kind have no access . I am choosing to be still and know that God is near and He is leading. So my new default setting: Assurance

Chambers Commentary: Perseverance is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with absolute assurance and certainty that what we are looking for is going to happen. Perseverance means more than just hanging on, which may be only exposing our fear of letting go and falling. Perseverance is our supreme effort of refusing to believe that our hero is going to be conquered. Our greatest fear is not that we will be damned, but that somehow Jesus Christ will be defeated. Also, our fear is that the very things our Lord stood for— love, justice, forgiveness, and kindness among men— will not win out in the end and will represent an unattainable goal for us. Then there is the call to spiritual perseverance. A call not to hang on and do nothing, but to work deliberately, knowing with certainty that God will never be defeated.

If our hopes seem to be experiencing disappointment right now, it simply means that they are being purified. Every hope or dream of the human mind will be fulfilled if it is noble and of God. But one of the greatest stresses in life is the stress of waiting for God. He brings fulfillment, "because you have kept My command to persevere . . ." ( Revelation 3:10 ).

Continue to persevere spiritually.
Do you need to be still?
What is your "default setting?"
What do you do to stay focused and assured?

No comments: